A History of St. Peter's church
Soon after the founding of Mountain Lakes, NJ, in 1911, the Rev. Henry B. Wilson, rector of St. John's Episcopal Church in nearby Boonton, conferred with Bishop wilson R. Stearly about the need to establish a parish in Mountain Lakes. In 1919 a site was chosen and an option taken on the land where St. Peter's now stands.
In 1923, St. John's School, which had earlier moved from Boonton to what is now the Henderson House at the Wilson School in Mountain Lakes, offered its facilities as a meeting place for church activities. In August the Wardens and Vestrymen of St. Peter's Church in Mountain Lakes were elected, thus making it the only church in the Newark Diocese originally organized as a parish, not a mission.
The first service was held in August 1923 in St. John's School with 90 people attending. The cornerstone for the present building was laid in October 1926 and the first service was held in the new church just one year later.
Now in its 95th year, the parish of St. Peter's has been guided by 10 rectors or co-rectors with terms ranging from two to 17 years.